Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Everything old is new again...

I have been sick off and on since October. High fever, head ache, body ache... I've been exhausted to the point of sleeping in my car during my lunch hour and if I didn't have plans to do something after work I would just go home and melt in to the couch. I've been to a few different doctors and have been told the exact same thing each and every time, "It's a virus. There is nothing we can do for you. Go home, get plenty of rest and fluids."

I'm leaving out a huge dramatic middle to this story and I will probably write about it later but after 5 months of illness I finally got a diagnosis this morning. I have mono. I had it when I was 18 and it has proven to be the gift that keeps on giving. My friends and family and I are actually relieved to have a diagnosis. I have been so insanely ill that we all privately thought that it was something much worse. (as a two time cancer survivor I can hardly get a hang nail without fearing that the cancer has returned.)

There have been no progress made in the treatment of mono in the last 30 years so unfortunately there is no magic bullet. I'm off of work for the next month and I am pretty sure that that is going to drive me nuts. My employer has been very sympathetic and that is very comforting. I hope they remain as sympathetic in the weeks to come.

So I'm off to take another nap and drink more fluids. As my energy level rises I'll be back. I've just recently gotten a few new readers and this seems like the perfect way to lose them. Hang in there with me and the martini's are on me when I'm feeling better.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Trixie Twatwaffle said...

Hugs... feel better....

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh wow...hope you are feeling better soon! Knock on wood, Ive never had mono but it sounds just awful.

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will take my Martini shaken, not stirred, with Sky, or Gray Goose! NO Salt or sugar on the rim...one olive and one onion on a sword, and a plastic monkey on the side of the glass!
I am glad they finally decided what is going on with you...now, GO TO SLEEP! Maybe the laundry fairy will come over one night this week, with her band of renoun!
Love,
Sissy

11:31 PM  
Blogger Busy Bee Suz said...

I never had it either and have heard horror stories about how draining it can be.
Take this time to really rest. Your mind, your body, your heart.
read a book. sleep. watch some movies. take long baths.
take care,
suz

5:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pooooor baby!! Take care of yourself. Hope your better soon. Hugs and love. Kristy

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, with your new found "free time" you better wow us with some great free paint and red pen lady entries (Hali wouldn't mind hearing from Dave either). Call Aubree if you need anyhting.....I'm busy of course! (To all who read this know I'm not mean (well, I am)...it's just my sweet disposition - snarky hummor)

12:38 PM  
Blogger Jason, as himself said...

Sleeping in your car at lunch? I'm so sorry, but at least now you know what it is. And it's not the big "C".

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor you! My sympathies and good wishes.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I wanna chocolate one!

Wouldja just get better first! :P

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home