Friday, August 07, 2009

Knock, knock..."It's for you..." Surprize party conclusion

Our ruse for getting Mother all dressed up for her party was to tell her that IMOM was going to take us out to a nice dinner. Sadly, he wasn't even in the country at the time so he wasn't able to even attend the party, let alone take us out to dinner. I made the mistake of telling Tori that he wasn't coming so with that information she decided that she and the kids wouldn't need any dress up clothes. My mom and I were getting ready in one bathroom and Tori and the kids were getting ready in their bathroom. When we all met up in the living room it looked like Mother and I were off to Lady Astor's Ball and Tori and the kids were going to head out to the pool. Happily my mom didn't acknowledge this fashion faux paux.

Tori had to run out to her truck to retrieve some more of the party goods that we couldn't sneak in earlier. I was pacing around like a chicken with my head cut off and my mom was calmly sitting on the couch waiting for IMOM to show up.

The door bell rang and then there was a knock on the door. I looked at my mom and said, "IT'S FOR YOU!!!" She looked at me like I was nuts and said, "It's Tori. Go open the door and let her in." And I said, "YOU open the door." I'm sure she wondered why on Gods green earth I couldn't open the door when I was totally standing right next to it. As she headed for the door I lunged for my camera and had it at the ready. My mom opened the door and kind of stepped back when she saw friends of hers from elementary school:

Linda Walker Peace


Cathie Stewart Brown
Friends she made in the 1960's when she was in the East San Gabriel Valley Mother's Of Twins Club:

Joan Smith and Joy Allen
Then she opened the door to friends of mine from high school:

The son she never had, Greg Parvin
Noel Troy Lucia & her husband Dave
Kathy McLaughlin Mindiak
Then there were in-laws:

Son in law, Mike Pendell

Grandson in law, Mike Stoughton
And there were out-laws:

Mary McHugh and Kathy McHugh Yumi Tsurimoto
A former boss:

Pete Lucero

There was lot's of food and lots of fun had that night. The room was full of love for my mom and it was wonderful. All of these people drove over 100 miles in the searing southern California summer heat to wish my mom a happy birthday and there are no words to express how much it meant to me that they were able to do so.

Greg Parvin, Kathy & Mike Mindiak, Me, Tori, Michael J. Noel & David Lucia


Flo Kemp, Linda Walker Peace, Mother, Cathie Stewart Brown (Getting a picture of my mom where her eyes look open is close to impossible. Believe it or not her eyes are not closed here. It's just that when she smiles her eyes disappear!)



Greg Parvin

My son in law Mike Stoughton, my daughter, Amanda & Mother


Mary McHugh andn Kathy McHugh


Pete Lucero, Mother, Rachiel Lucero


Joy Allen, Mother, Joan Smith (Ok, now here my mom's eyes are closed. Sorry, but it was a nice picture of the other two! )
Mike Stoughton

Joy Allen & Joan Smith


Mike Mindiak, Mother, Kathy Mindiak


My high schooll friends. Betcha didn't know my nephew Paul went to high school with me, didja? (of course he didn't, but he insisted on being in the picture)
Noel Troy Lucia, Mother, David Lucia


Happy birthday Mother. Let's do this again when you turn 100! I LOVE YOU!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

Yay! Finally!!! Your mother and her friends are beautiful women! The pictures are so nice. What a bunch of lovely people who drove all the way down there. That truly speaks volumes about the Wyatt women. Love it.

And I loved the line about "Lady Astor's Ball".

4:04 PM  
Blogger Jason, as himself said...

So fun! What a great time for your mom. She's lucky to have a daughter like you!

5:34 PM  
Blogger MinaG said...

Wow, what an amazing party at an incredible location!

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wait til I tell Kath you called us "out-laws". Them's fite'n words!

That posed pic of Kath and I is the one your mom emailed me. It's a rarity to find a nice pic of the 2 of us. I'll have to figure out a way to get a copy of it. I could mail it to Shannon so she can see her long-lost aunties!

LBF

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home