Friday, January 19, 2007

Liar, liar, pants on fire....


Last night as I was cleaning the house Ashleigh decided that she needed to use the litter box. (I honestly think they hold it while I'm gone and wait until I'm home before they go potty. They are still young enough that after they are finished using the litter box they announce it to whom ever is listening. Little kittens do this, but I don't know why. Perhaps it's so that we can congratulate and praise them for using the potty the same way we praise Jake?) In the course of the situation Ashleigh managed to stink up the joint so I lit a candle and put it on the sink counter in the kitchen. I was doing the dishes and as we all know if there is running water involved Lorenzo will have his nose in it. Lorenzo jumped up on to the counter and saw the candle. He walked over to it, looked at it, took a quizzical breath and then walked away. However when he walked away he didn't walk away far enough. He stopped with his fanny right next to the candle. As I watched in horror ...he let his tail drop into the flame and the next thing I knew his entire pantaloon area was in flames. There was actually a smoldering blue flame in his fur. I could hear the fire sizzle as his fur melted. The stench was dreadful. I immediately blew out the candle flame and then I grabbed a wadded up tea towel and dabbed at the fire, hoping I wasn't causing the fire to burn his little kitty ass. This whole episode took less than 30 seconds but for me time just stood still. I couldn't believe how quickly he caught on fire and how quickly his fur burned. Mostly I couldn't believe that he never reacted to the fire. His only reaction seemed to be, "Why are you hitting me with that towel? Is this a new game? Cool!"

When all was said and done it looked like Lorenzo had sat in the mud. I tried to comb the black, melted, stinky fur but he was not one bit interested in sitting still long enough for me to do so. This morning most of the mess was gone. I'm sure Lorenzo will be horking burnt fur balls for the rest of the weekend....but I don't care. I'm just glad he's safe and sound and didn't get injured in this debacle.

In case anyone is interested....I threw all of my candles in the trash.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh goodness! Shame you threw the candles out, rescue them if you can. Just make sure you only light them in one of the globe surrounded holders (like little storm lanterns) and they will still help with the odors. Hugs to you and the wild children. YHAS

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Tami
No need to throw out the candles - After my cat curled her whiskers on a candle, I bought those glass 'chimney' (hurricane globes) from Michael's to protect my cat and keep my candles safe.
jds (the cat lady friend of your Mom)

6:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great stuff you guys. I can add another word: meltzarella cheese, which was said by Amanda when she was little. Charly was reading the word rebellion and it came out sounding like rebbilin, with the accent on the first syllable. And this was when she was in high school. Tori, if you ever have all that land in Hawaii, Dan and I would love to take you up on your offer.

Debbie PC

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home